Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A page off Atticus' diary




Intrapersonal question: Write a diary entry for a major character of the novel.

For this really interesting question I chose Atticus Finch as the character's diary entry I wanted to write. This is set just after Tom Robinson's trial

Dear Diary,


I lost. Just like I had predicted the moment Judge Taylor gave me the case, I lost. Tom Robinson was convicted guilty of a crime he had not even dared to think about. All these months I’ve slogged to get evidence and link them all up into a flawless flow of events in front of the jury to at least give Tom that flicker of hope, God know I’ve tried. That wasn’t much I had to do, it was so obvious from the start. The shrivelled arm, wounds on the wrong places, not to mention the lousy lies Mayella presented the trial. The solid evidence was all there, but Gilmer and the jury treated them like they were transparent.


I have been so selfish for the past few months, sacrificing the happiness of my children, and the reputation of the Finches all for my personal principles. I pretend to be blind towards the suffering they endured, and will endure for the rest of their lives. Maycomb’s an old town, where generations of lies and prejudice have been circulating since the formation of this town. My act will only be added to the top of the list, a white man protecting a black man, never before seen in Maycomb. The children will have a tough time ahead of them, children of “nigger lovers” tend not to do so well in this unjust society. I can only hope, that my attempts on teaching them about true courage and the true meaning of the word “equal” were at least slightly successful., and pass on my teachings to their children and let there be at least one tribe in maycomb that is not racist.


But I will definitely not give up here. I will once again take up the task to return Tom his pride and freedom, and will appeal to the court. In the trial, the jury had taken much longer to convict a black man than usual. It’s not much of an improvement, but it’s still one. As long as I keep fighting, I know one day, maybe not in my lifetime, or not in my children’s’ lifetime, that the white man and the black man will be treated equally.


Stay strong Tom.


God Bless us all,

Atticus Finch

No comments:

Post a Comment