Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Interview with master lotus root soup


Interpersonal question: Conduct an interview with a friend(not from HCI) or a family member. Find out from their point of view about prejudice and discrimination. Either record the interview or write out the interview transcript.

Okay guys I KNOW in the previous post that I said I wanted to do the linguistic and intrapersonal questions, but very luckily my uncle managed to drop by at my grandma's house for dinner, and since it was only 1 block away I managed to conduct an interview with him, and decided to use that for the assignment instead, so I'm dropping the linguistic question since I felt that the interview was more interesting.

So I interviewed my uncle (who didn't want me disclosing his charming name). He is in his mid 30s and works at CASIO.

Me: So erm.. Good Evening uncle, and thank you for participating in this interview.


Uncle: Wah…so courteous ah. Anyway what is this about ah?


Me: Oh, its part of my English assignment, so may I ask what are your views about prejudice and discrimination?


Uncle: Well… prejudice is when someone is treating you very unfairly, and this affects their ability to make fair judgements in situations.


Me: Could you give me any examples on displays of prejudice?


Uncle: Of course, the more you see of life, the more prejudice you see. Recently my company is bringing in many foreign workers like Chinese or Philippines workers.


Me: And how does this lead to prejudice?


Uncle: Well I’ve seen and heard a lot of my colleagues making a lot of prejudiced comments about the foreign workers, like how all china workers speak poor English and are lazy. However I have seen the Chinese workers work and I find them very hardworking and courteous, and many have , on their own, went for outside English classes.


Me: Hmmm very interesting. Recently I’ve been seeing more and more foreign workers working at the shopping centre in my neighbourhood.


Uncle: Yeah lah, many of the foreign workers are more hardworking and courteous than our local workers, and they are also willing to accept lower pay, of course employers want to hire them lah.


Me: Yeah it does make sense, many Singaporeans have been criticised of poor work attitude. So anyway about discrimination, do you think that a lot of it exists in Singapore?


Uncle: Of course. Humans fear the unknown and this leads to discrimination. Even though we’re a multi-racial community and there have not been racial riots in a long time, I’m sure you and I both know that racial discrimination still exists.


Me: Well…yes, I’ve seen some racist comments popping out in blogs and online forum.


Uncle: It’s impossible to have totally 0% discrimination and prejudice in society, but we should always try our best to be as unbiased and just as possible. Now erm.. could we leave the interview as this because your grandma made my favourite lotus root soup for dinner and talk about prejudice does work up an appetite.


Me: Of course, thank you very much for your participation, and enjoy your erm.. lotus root soup.


Uncle: Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment