Saturday, February 20, 2010

CNY taken over by PSPs?

What's the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear the words" Chinese New Year". Red packets? Lots of junk food? Or is it a time to gather with your loved ones? For me, whenever I think of this festive season, a scene of my family happily having the yearly reunion dinner will flow into my mind. Anyway, I know this is kind of late, but HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! It's the 7th day of the chinese new year, the birthday of all of mankind, so happy birthday to all the humans reading this.

So anyway I'm going to be ranting about my chinese new year. When I was a little kid, maybe around 5 years old, I seem to remember reunion dinner as a hearty affair, where the men would joke with each other over some alcohol, the ladies would giggle over gossip and daily affairs, the children would chase each other round the restaurant and even the maids would have light conversation with one another. To be put short it was an occasion to look forward to , an occasion for family members to catch up with another.

Sadly, I can't really say the same thing for now.

Now that many of my cousins are around the same age as me, and with the advancement of technology it was not entirely shocking to see almost everyone sitting around the dining table silently, not eating but playing handphone games, PSP games etc. (you get what i mean). Even my 4 year old cousin was using her pudgy fingers to try to level up in tetris. Of course being the eldest of all the cousins I just awkwardly munched on peanuts. 15 minutes later, unable to stand the awkward silence, I pushed my siblings towards a bunch of my cousins sitting together, tried to introduce them to each other (which was ironic considering the fact that they had know each other for at least 7 years or so) , and made a quick trip to the toilet(too many peanuts).So after roughly 10 minutes, I returned, expecting to see some form of socilaizing between the cousins, but all I saw was the whole bunch of them peering into a DS some idiot from another table. So much for that.

Chinese New Year- what does it really mean in this day and age. Does it mean anything more than eating free goodies and getting cash from red packets? Does it mean anything more than having an additional companion to play the X-Box 360? Does human contact really have to be compromised with the advancement of technology. Let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

By the way guys I really need more comments so that I can have greater interactive with my readers, and also so that I can improve on my future posts, so PLEASE COMMENT ON THE POSTS. I'm so desperate I'm gonna try reverse psychology, so please also DO NOT COMMENT ON THE POSTS. Hope it works!

Signing off,

Kevan

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I agree with you Kevan. Children are becoming more reluctant to speak and communiate with their relatives and cousins nowadays. They prefer to be submerged in their world of video games and PSPs, as you have mentioned. I also think that it is good that you have actually offered to help your siblings bridge a conversation with their cousins(though it failed). Happy CNY!

    ReplyDelete